Fierce, Agile & Fully
Dedicated To Our Clients

When and why should you consider a child support modification?

On Behalf of | Feb 19, 2018 | Uncategorized |

As the custodial parent of your children, a great deal rests on your shoulders. You take care of your children’s day-to-day needs, such as getting them to school and to their doctors’ appointments, helping them with homework, making sure they do their chores and disciplining them when necessary. The financial burden you also carry can make your job even more difficult. Like many custodial parents in Nebraska, you receive child support, but it may not be enough to make ends meet.

If you were a stay-at-home parent or worked part-time during your marriage, it could exacerbate the problem. Your tasks to keep the house in order and take care of the children were important, but staying out of the workforce has made it challenging to make a living wage or for you and your children to enjoy the same kind of life you did when there were two parents contributing to the household income. This is why family law courts assign child support to the noncustodial parent. You might wonder if there is a way to increase the child support you receive.

According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, you may request a modification of your child support under the following circumstances:

  • It has not been less than three years since the last court-ordered change to your child support, unless you have had a significant change in your income or living situation to warrant the request.
  • The paying parent is not incarcerated or institutionalized.
  • Your youngest child will not reach the age of 18 within six months of your request to modify child support.

Receiving an increase in your child support is often a complex procedure, which courts consider on a case-by-case basis. A family court judge may take other factors into consideration, such as your ex’s job and living expenses. It may be necessary to seek legal advice when you are requesting a child support increase.