Reisinger Booth & Associates, P.C., L.L.O.

Parenting plans in Nebraska divorces

For those divorcing with minor children, concerns about support, custody, visitation schedules and more will play a significant role in the process. Nebraska law requires parents to file a parenting plan and the court to approve it before it issues the final divorce decree.

Courts tend to prefer parents come to an agreement on the provisions of the parenting plan. If they encounter difficulty, the judge may order them to attend mediation. As a last resort, the court may create a parenting plan on its own, based on what it assesses to be the best interests of the child.

Required content

The parenting plan should cover custody, visiting schedules and any other issues important to the child's well-being. Like other states, Nebraska classifies custody into physical and legal. Possible arrangements may include one parent having sole legal and physical custody and the other parent getting scheduled visitation time. Alternatively, one parent may get physical custody while both split legal custody, making major decisions together. Some parents choose to split both physical and legal custody.

Decide based on what is best for your child

Each family needs to determine which arrangement works best given the specific circumstances. For example, one parent may not be in a position to provide a stable living place for a child and may best interact with the child through visitation. Other parents may live not far from one another and be able to communicate amicably enough to sustain a split schedule without disrupting the child's daily life.

Include specific details

A good plan should also contain specifics as to visitations or custody exchanges, including dates, times, manner of pickup and what to do if plans must change. The parents should also work out a system to ensure they share complete and prompt information about the child's education, medical needs and other important issues.


You can work to create the best possible parenting plan based on your current situation. However, if circumstances change in unpredictable ways, you may need to request a modification. As with an original parenting plan, proposed changes should aim for the best interest of the child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Legal Issue

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Reisinger Booth & Associates, P.C., L.L.O.

7602 Pacific Street, Suite 222
Omaha, NE 68114

Phone: 402-983-8213
Fax: 402-457-6309
Omaha Law Office Map