Reisinger Booth & Associates, P.C., L.L.O.

How to challenge divorce decisions made by the court

Once a divorce becomes final, you may not be willing to leave it in the past just yet. Instead, you still have the opportunity to challenge any decisions that you do not agree with. This does not guarantee that you will make any progress, but you have the right to do so.

You have two options:

-- Appeals

-- File a motion to modify the divorce judgment

With an appeal, you are fighting back against a trial court judge's decision in hopes that a higher court will see things a different way.

You also have the ability to file a motion to modify the divorce judgment. With this, you are asking the trial court to change some aspects of the judgment. This can include but is not limited to child support, alimony, child custody arrangements and visitation schedules.

If you want to file a motion to modify, you will typically do so in the original court where the divorce was filed.

When the divorce process is finally in the past, you hope that you can move on with your life. Unfortunately, you may soon find that you don't agree with one or more decisions made by the court.

It may not be something you want to do, but it's nice to know that you can challenge divorce decisions, often with success. This gives you another avenue of making things right that you do not agree with.

As long as you know the ins and outs of appeals and motions to modify, you can make the right decisions at the right times.

Source: FindLaw, "Appeals and Motions to Modify the Divorce Judgment," accessed May 05, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Legal Issue

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Reisinger Booth & Associates, P.C., L.L.O.

7602 Pacific Street, Suite 222
Omaha, NE 68114

Phone: 402-983-8213
Fax: 402-457-6309
Omaha Law Office Map